Newbie question - how to get started?

Ask a question, or offer help to others
thrashercharged

Newbie question - how to get started?

Post by thrashercharged » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:07 pm

I just found and downloaded this program and I'm totally confused. Later I found this message board but I still haven't found any answers. Is there a "How to get started" tutorial anywhere? I simply want to put some notes down for piano - treble and bass clef.

I've read all the reviews about how intuitive this program is, but sorry, I'm having trouble, and I'm not computer illiterate by any means (I'm a software engineer), and well versed on a variety of software (most all MS stuff, Adobe's suite, etc.) - I'm just pointing out where my PC skills stand. I've watched the Musettedemo.wmv file and it isn't much help. Watching someone open an existing file and make changes at full speed isn't helping me get started.

I have figured out that there are 2 modes. Using Setup>Demo apparently puts you in full mode but doesn't allow you to save your file. Using the the program as is, you can save your work but you don't get the Dynamics menu, hence you don't get the All menu either. Are there any other differences? By the way, the mere existence of these 2 modes wasn't at all obvious, I only found out about them after a lot of reading of both the help files (which does allude to there being 2 modes) and past posts in this forum, and I'm still confused as to what all the differences are.

I want to save my files, so I until I figure out whether I'll be using this program and hence purchasing it, I'll be using the non-demo mode, so my questions are directed towards the non-demo mode.

1. The program opens up and gives me a staff with treble clef only - how do I get both treble and bass?
2. How do I add double staffs?
I've gone to draw>staff and I see a double staff, but when I click and highlight it, can't seem to paste it in my manuscript. I can click on the single staff and paste another single (Treble clef) staff into the manuscript, but of course, that's not what I want.
3. I think I figured out what the setup>note grid does. But is there some way to account for the spacing of the first measure, where you have the time and key signature that take up space? The program is putting grids out evenly spaced, which is very nice and helpful, but this evenly spaced grid doesn't work for the first measure as the time and key signature take up all that initial space.
4. Is there a better way to put up a title? I see how to write text, but it doesn't appear that you can add more spaces at the very top of your manuscript to put a nice title. The space above the first staff isn't very much, so the title is put really close to the first staff.

I think these questions will get me started. Thanks for any help people can provide.

Tom

maestro
Site Admin

Re: Newbie question - how to get started?

Post by maestro » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:45 am

Tom,

Like most things, manuals are a work in progress and many manual updates start as questions here. Two good places to start are the demo video and the "Getting Started/Demo" topic in the help file.

The solo edition doesn't allow mixing single staves and braces. Click "File/New" and you can add either a single staff or a treble/bass brace and position it anywhere on the page. You can also move an existing staff or brace by clicking and dragging. The note grid doesn't make allowances for time signatures, but the grid lines are only a suggestion and you can move bar lines to make extra room. There's more in the help file topics "Getting Started/Creating a New File" and "Features/Note Grid".