Can I make one part in a mult-part tune play louder?

Ask a question, or offer help to others
Steven A

Can I make one part in a mult-part tune play louder?

Post by Steven A » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:24 am

I am writing tunes for our local choir, in which I sing, and most tunes have four different staves, one each for Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bass. On completion of the writing I transfer the tunes to CD and distribute the CDs among the choir members.

I would like to make a particular voice, Soprano, Alto, Tenor or Bass, significantly louder than the other three as an aid to those particular choir members during their learning of a piece. I know that ff makes the music louder and pp makes it softer, but i don't know how long this lasts.

Your advice on the best approach would be much appreciated.

Regards Steve

maestro
Site Admin

Re: Can I make one part in a mult-part tune play louder?

Post by maestro » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:50 am

Steve,

The current version of Musette doesn't "play" dynamics but there are a couple possibilities.

Select a distinctive instrument for the highlighted part and a different instrument for all other parts. The "Multiple Parts and Braces" section of the "Features/Staves and Braces" topic in the help file has more information.

You can create separate part scores by hiding all but the desired part. Again, see the "Features/Staves and Braces" topic in the help file. If you have mixer software that lets you combine multiple sound files, you could record a single part with the volume loud, and the entire score with the volume soft and combine the two.

As with all questions, this one is also interpreted as a request for a new or improved feature.

Steven A

Post by Steven A » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:01 pm

Thanks for those suggestions, I'll give them a go.

By the way, how long do the fortissimo and pianissimo controls (ff and pp, etc) persist for?

Steve

maestro
Site Admin

Post by maestro » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:26 am

The current version of Musette ignores ff, pp and other dynamics during playback. This will likely change in a future version. If you mean how long a choir maintains the current dynamic level, usually until it changes.

If other members of your choir have windows computers, you could email the musette file. The free Solo Edition can load and play files created with the Consort Edition. They can isolate any difficult parts by playing just a selected staff, brace or marked block.