staves and braces

Ask a question, or offer help to others
k2houston

staves and braces

Post by k2houston » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:15 am

I have followed the instructions to add a new staff to a brace but nothing happens. Please help.

maestro
Site Admin

Re: staves and braces

Post by maestro » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:59 pm

You need to be in demo mode or have the consort edition upgrade to have more than 2 staves in a brace. If the brace is highlighted (red), press ESC to un-highlight. Then select the staff object from the green toolbar and click inside the brace.

rommusette

Post by rommusette » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:48 am

the phrase "staff object" is not clear ... the words "brace" and "stave" should clearly defined in help menu ... I have been in music all my life and did not know these words

maestro
Site Admin

Post by maestro » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:51 am

Good observations. The help file uses the terms "object" and "symbol" when referring to anything you can select from the green toolbars in the "Draw" menu. It should standardize on one term and explain it better. Expanding the "Music Notation" part of the help file is also a good suggestion. "Staves" is the plural of staff. "Brace" refers to 2 or more staves connected and played together. Piano music commonly uses a brace consisting of a treble clef staff and bass clef staff played together. You can find these and other music terms in music dictionaries and on websites that explain music terms. Some music terms vary from country to country. The help file uses terms as they're commonly defined in the United States.

rommusette

Post by rommusette » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:20 am

I do not agree usage of "staves" is common in US ... the much more common plural of "staff" is "staffs", unless I have been mishearing all these years ... :shock: " "Staves" is the plural of staff. "Brace" refers to 2 or more staves connected and played together" !!!! if so then "brace" is just 2 or more "staffs" joined together .. this is much clearer to me and simpler ... 1. the statement: "It should standardize on one term and explain it better" is awkward English ... better is: "It should use only one term, not 2 different words, and clarify completely" ... I repeat my speculation that English is not your mother tongue 2. "The help file uses the terms "object" and "symbol" when referring to anything you can select from the green toolbars in the "Draw" menu. ". I am using demo edition ... there is no "green toolbar" in the "draw" menu!!!!