Staff to brace grouping - M. grouped a single staff to a brace

Ask a question, or offer help to others
leomarcus

Post by leomarcus » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:52 pm

Hi Maestro,
A bug! I was working in an environment where on the same page there are braces with different number of staves in them. In one case it automagically grouped together a single staff with a brace of three that was just above it on the page. (What is the officially approved way of degrouping?) Anyway, I finally degrouped them, and saved it, ungrouped. But when I opened it again, it was grouped, as if I had not saved it!
So I guess there are two bug manifestations (not quite an infestation) in the above.
Thanks!
Leo

maestro
Site Admin

Post by maestro » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:22 pm

Leo,

When you add a single staff within, or close to, an existing brace, Musette automatically adds that staff to the existing brace. If you want an isolated staff between existing braces, the staff needs to be added away from the brace. If Musette adds the staff to an existing brace and that's not what you wanted, either delete the empty staff, or use undo and try again with the staff farther from the brace. You might have to push an existing brace up or down to create some extra empty space, add the staff and then reposition the staff and braces.

Without knowing exactly what you did, I can't comment on whether something went wrong.

leomarcus

Post by leomarcus » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:24 pm

Hi Maestro,

When you add a single staff within, or close to, an existing brace, Musette automatically adds that staff to the existing brace

That is a bit dangerous ... I would recommend that that happen only when the staff is added either within or touching an existing brace, not just close ....

If Musette adds the staff to an existing brace and that's not what you wanted, either delete the empty staff, or use undo and try again with the staff farther from the brace.

The problem was that the added staff was not empty ... it was just sitting there minding its own business when it just sort of involuntarily popped up and joined a brace sitting above it --- so deleting it and starting again was more tedious ... And also moving the whole rest of the file "down" was not too easy either. How would you suggest doing that? Can white space be inserted?

So is there currently no "clean" way to disembrace staves?

Without knowing exactly what you did, I can't comment on whether something went wrong.

Well, having the saved version be different than the one you get when you reopen it is probably undesirable, no matter what exactly caused it ...

Hope this was helpful.

Thanks!
Leo

leomarcus

Post by leomarcus » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:27 pm

Hi Maestro,
I am (hopefully ...) attaching a file with the uncontrollable bracing...
On the middle of page 10, where there is a brace of four, the last staff is supposed to be separate, and I cannot add another staff between it and the next one further down the page without it being braced with the four.

Do you see the same phenomenon when you run it?

Thanks very much,
Leo

maestro
Site Admin

Post by maestro » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:51 am

Leo,

You're right. A brace may grab an existing isolated staff as the staff is moved. A possible workaround until it's fixed is:

1) Insert another independent staff.
2) Copy from the staff in the brace to the new staff.
3) Delete the staff from the brace.

leomarcus

Post by leomarcus » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:38 pm

Hi Maestro,

Thanks for your help.
However, in my case I am not able to clear up all the braced staves.

When I try to insert a new independent staff anywhere on that same page, it gets embraced ...

Even when I tried inserting page dividers, it still braced over the pages ...

I guess I will live with that, and make the corrections by hand. No problema!

Keep up the good (great!) work.
Leo

maestro
Site Admin

Post by maestro » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:14 am

Leo,

Using V2.9.9 I downloaded your example and used F8 (move) and F9 (move all) to move a brace down to create some extra space. I inserted a single staff without incident. You need to be careful when moving a single staff so it doesn't get grabbed by a brace. If you save just before moving a single staff, you can revert to the backup file if something goes wrong.

leomarcus

Post by leomarcus » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:40 am

Hi Maestro,

I guess I don't know about those F8 and F9 stuff .. Is that capabilty that is not in the regular Draw All menu?

Also, how do I find out what version I am running ....?

Thanks,
Leo

maestro
Site Admin

Post by maestro » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:31 am

Leo,

Menu option "Help/About" will show the version.

The help file sections "Getting Started/Shortcuts", "Menus/Edit", and "Menus/Format" have more on F8 and F9.

leomarcus

Post by leomarcus » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:31 pm

Hi Maestro,
To continue this discussion ....
My version shows V2.10.0.004.
Should/could that work differently than your 2.9.9?
(Why didn't you use the most recent...?)

And when I do "Help" I get "Error in WinViewPort. No help file."

I guess I should reinstall ...?

Thanks,
Leo

maestro
Site Admin

Post by maestro » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:52 am

V2.9.9 is the latest official release. V2.10 is an experimental pre-release but F8 and F9 should work the same. Try reinstalling to restore the help file.